Thursday, May 11, 2006

Weekday Post #50: Girls Night Out pt 1

Hey there, I Hate Star Wars Club Members. I’m sorry to interrupt the story of my brother’s betrayal, but in honor of 50 Weekday Posts, I wanted to publish the first installment of the long-rumored new short story, Girls Night Out. This story presents another vantage point of the events depicted in The Trouble With Tribbles; it shows how Anakin Skywalker’s obsession with seeking revenge on the tribbles who so thoroughly stomped his ass affects his loved ones at home. I hope you enjoy it.

One day, Padme was sitting on a park bench outside of a hospital. Her husband, Anakin Skywalker, was inside because he had fractured two ribs in his latest tussle with a tribble. Medical droids had brought him to the hospital the night before on the ambulance ship. Emperor Palpatine kept that ship on a state of constant alert just in case Anakin got in a fight. As the droids carried her husband in on a stretcher, Padme tried to tell him how glad she was that he was alive, but all he could talk about was tracking down that tribble and getting his revenge.

Padme slumped on the bench and sighed. She decided that being married to the weakest man in the galaxy was almost more trouble than it was worth. Sure, Anakin said many sweet things to her, like the time that he said her skin was softer than sand—that was nice—but constantly sitting in emergency room waiting rooms while the doctors installed new robotic appendages was starting to take a toll on her. She needed some alone time.

Padme turned at the sound of laughter coming from nearby; she saw Janeway, 7 of 9, and Uhura coming out of a small space bar next to the hospital. The three women walked by Padme as if they didn’t even notice her.

“Excuse me,” said Padme, “I’m sorry to be rude, but it looks like you ladies are having fun and I could really use some cheering up. Normally I would never be so impetuous, but would it be all right if I tagged along with you?”

Janeway peered down her nose at Padme. “Aren’t you married to that wimp who always gets beat up by tribbles?”

Padme looked at her shoes. “Yes, ma’am. I’m afraid that I am.”

“Tribbles would never hurt a fly, yet your husband claims they attack him unprovoked.” Janeway shook her head disapprovingly.

“Yes,” Padme said, “he does say that. I wish it were true, but I fear that the tribbles merely finish the fights that he starts.”

7 of 9 looked at her watch. “Come on girls,” she said, “we’re going to miss the first dancer.” She looked at Padme and added, “Sorry, no extra room in the spaceship. Later.”

Padme started to cry as the three women walked away. She couldn’t bear to return to Anakin’s room and listen to him rampage about the tribble menace but she had nowhere else to go. Suddenly, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She looked up to see Uhura smiling at her.

“I told 7 of 9 and Janeway that I forgot my purse in the bar,” said Uhura. “Listen, I always thought you were a Star Wars goon, like your husband, but you really impressed me by telling the truth about him provoking the tribbles to attack. The girls don’t know I’m doing this, but we’re having a little Girls Night Out and if you’d like to come, you’re invited.”

Padme was stunned. “I don’t know how to thank you! I have never been so flattered—”

Uhura interrupted her, “Don’t mention it, but we’ve got to hurry. The first dancer starts in ten minutes and you don’t want to miss a second of it!”

Uhura handed Padme a tissue, which she used to dab the tears from her cheeks as she followed Uhura’s hurried pace down the street. For the first time in years, Padme smiled.

To be continued…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home