Friday, April 21, 2006

Weekday Post #36: Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner

Tonight, my mother informed me that my sister would be coming for dinner on Sunday and that she would be bringing her new boyfriend to meet the family. I didn’t even know my sister was dating anyone and I’m a little upset to find out that she’s been with someone for a month yet I didn’t hear about it until today.

So then, my mom tells me to be on my best behavior because my sister was nervous about introducing this guy to me. Apparently, he doesn’t like Star Wars or Star Trek and thinks that both series are a huge waste of time. Mom said he wouldn’t think too highly of the blog and my sister didn’t even want to mention it. I said it didn’t matter because I’d probably just play with my niece anyway, but mom said that my sister got a babysitter for the evening so I would have to talk with the grownups for once. (She can be so condescending sometimes. It really pisses me off.)

It sounds like this new guy isn’t exactly a Star Wars goon, which means my sister has some taste in men. But I don’t like having to pretend to be someone I’m not. I don’t want to sit around and talk about politics or where to buy the best couscous or whatever it is that yuppies talk about. I want to talk about how much Star Wars sucks and maybe even help this guy to appreciate the value of Star Trek. It’s not me being selfish; I just want to help my sister. I know that she’d be happiest with a Star Trek fan so I can’t let her get serious with this guy unless I know that he shares our family values.

Anyway, I promised my mom I’d be good, but as far as he’s concerned, if this dude wants to be involved with my sister’s family, that means being involved with the I Hate Star Wars Club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home